Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mexico!

For those of you who don't know, I am spending the week in Mexico with a Goshen College study tour. We arrived in Mexico City last Saturday evening and will leave again on Saturday noon. We are currently in Cuernavaca, a city about 1.5 hours south of Mexico City. We have been doing lots of walking and touring of historical buildings, exploring downtown Mexico City and Cuernavaca, and just trying to experience as much of Mexican culture as we can.

We started out with some problems with the airplane at the Fort Wayne airport, which means our luggage did not make it on the same flight as we did, so we had quite a time when we got to Mexico City figuring out how to report our missing/misplaced luggage. We finally did that and got downtown and checked into our hotel, but the first night I was without a change of clothes or any toiletries. Just added to the adventure I guess, but I was praying pretty hard for it to arrive!

Sunday we took a guided tour of some of the historical areas of Mexico City- very, very interesting and gave me some things to read up on later. Yesterday we went to a smaller Mexican village - Buenavista - and got a closer look of the constrasts of Mexican wealth and poverty. Again, very interesting. There is so much more to tell you about but I am full of experiences and thoughts right now (and Megan is waiting to use the computer) so I won't say much more.

I am having a great time, and have stayed healthy so far, have not been too bothered by the heat, am enjoying the sunshine and relaxed Mexican culture, and am also enjoying getting to know the group of people I am travelling with, Hope things are going well with all of you. I probably won't have time to write again until I am back, and I will post lots of pictures then!

Hasta luego!
Deanna

No comments: