Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cooper's Hawk

There is at least one Cooper's Hawk that lives on campus. I have seen them sitting in trees before, usually in the summer. They always draw a crowd when students and others see them around. The hawks are doing a number on the squirrel population - I think that is one of their favorite foods :) and one reason they stay on campus.

Yesterday the hawk was sighted outside the admin building, sitting on a bicycle seat with a dead squirrel in its mouth. Students were standing around taking pictures with their cell phones. Someone finally got too close and the hawk dropped the squirrel and flew up into the nearest tree. I took some pictures out the window of the president's office (he wasn't in).



I have seen bald eagles in Alaska and I think this hawk was at least as big as a bald eagle.

I had to leave to go to lunch and when I came back he was gone. I didn't go out to check and see if he got his squirrel. I am guessing he did.

No comments: