As a 40-year old single woman, I was intrigued to read this book, which I received free from the publisher for this review. Technically, I have been praying for my future husband for years, so I was interested to see what the authors had to say.
The book is written primarily for teenage girls. The book starts by asking about your own personal relationship with God, and reminding us that we need to praying for other things beside our future husband. The book is divided into chapters about praying for different attributes of this future husband - his heart, that he will be a God lover, patience, understanding, trust, loyalty & faithfulness, strength, protection, intimacy, "the list", contentment, and commitment. Each chapter includes instructions about how to pray, a written prayer that could be prayed word for word, examples of answered prayer, and discussion questions.
The authors did not go as deep into the discussion about these aspects as I would have liked. Maybe this was because I was not the target audience. But there were several places where I wanted the authors to go deeper and explain a concept further, and they didn't. They also, in my opinion, didn't adequately cover the issue of unanswered prayer for a spouse. They seemed to assume that all readers had experience in relationships, needed to be careful about making good choices, and that this book would prepare the reader and the guy for when the right guy comes along. What they didn't talk about was what if the right guy doesn't come along. This wasn't part of the author's experience, so I am sure it can be difficult for them to write about, but with more and more Christian woman remaining single, often not by choice, I was hoping for something a little more realistic.
You can read an excerpt of the introduction of the book here.
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

No comments:
Post a Comment