Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yoder Reunion 2011

Trying to catch up on some events from this summer.  Here are some pictures from the annual CJ Yoder Family Reunion, held the last weekend of July in western Maryland/Pennsylvania.  It's good to connect with this side of the family in person at least once a year - most of our other connections are on Facebook. Denise and I drove out with my uncle John and cousin Garth, leaving at 3am in the morning, but arrived in Somerset, PA in time for a late breakfast.  We traveled back with my cousin Wendell and his oldest daughter Bekah.  The normal reunion activities of eating, game playing, conversation, swimming, eating, puzzles, an auction, and eating were enjoyed by all.  Did I mention that we ate a lot?

Summit Diner in Somerset, PA, where John, Garth, Denise and I ate breakfast.  My grandpa used to like to eat here when he came to the area, but I don't think the food is really that great. 
We explored Grantsville, MD on Friday.  Here I am at Penn Alps/Casselman State Park, with the (somewhat) famous Casselman Bridge in the background. 

Flowers at Penn Alps
 
Rob Yoder with the pig he roasted for Saturday supper. 



Nancy N and David W leading singing during Sunday worship. 

Familiar territory!  My grandpa grew up in Grantsville, the reunion is held at a camp near Pocahontas, and I have relatives that have a second home in Springs. 

I discovered that the Great Allegheny Passage went very near to our reunion site, so I organized a small group to hike on the trail for a few miles.  It was a hot day, so we only walked about 2.5 miles.  

We hiked to the tunnel that also signifies the Eastern Continental Divide.  There were nice murals (and some shade!) here. 
The hikers:  Garth, John, Wendell, Denise.  I and Bekah were also there. 

No comments: