Saturday, January 26, 2013

101 Things in 1,001 Days

Back in September, 2010 I made a list of things I wanted to do over the next several years.  There is a program called 101 Things in 1001 Days that I found out about from another person's blog, so I decided to use that as my guideline for goal-setting.  I couldn't come up with 101 things, but I did come up 50, then added another one later, for a total of 51. The 1,001 days comes to end June 21, 2013.  My self-imposed rules included permission to delete up to five things on the list.

Here is an update on what I have accomplished (and what I haven't).

DEANNA'S 101 THINGS IN 1,001 DAYS OFFICIAL LIST

Faith
1. Decide on a church.
  DONE.  I am now attending and a member of Assembly Mennonite. 
2. Go on a personal retreat at The Hermitage every six months.  DONE.  I have been doing this regularly since 2010.  My last retreat was late November, 2012. 
3. Go to a women's retreat.  Probably won't get this done before June. 
4. Go to a Mennonite convention (Pittsburgh 2011).  DONE.  I attended Pittsburgh in July, 2011.

Family
5. Go thru Grandpa's stuff on Delilah and organize.
DONE.  I just finished this on New Years Day.  Delilah is a cousin of mine who disappeared in Ecuador in 1976.  My grandpa saved newspaper articles and some letters and transcripts of testimony. The next step is to scan the newspaper article to make electronic copies for better storage. 

Home
6. Try 20 new recipes.
I'm not sure I am at 20, but I have tried quite a few, and should be at 20 by June.  I tried a new recipe tonight.  Interestingly, I haven't found too many great too recipes that I will make again. 
7. Inventory the freezer.  DONE.  
8. Make a list of all the sites I am a member of, and passwords.  DONE
9. Sell my house.  DONE.  We found a buyer in October, 2011, but he rented until he qualified for a mortgage in December, 2012.   
10. Move to a house closer to, or in, town (Goshen).  DONE.  I now live in town and walk to work nearly every day, even in winter.  I have enjoyed the transition to town and the smaller house to take care. 

Leisure
11. Read 101 books. 
I read 9 books in the remainder of 2010 after I started this list, 35 books in 2011, 33 books in 2012 = 77.  Might have to pick up my pace a little bit to meet this goal. 
12. Join a yoga class. I went to one yoga class and decided I probably should learn a few poses before I go back. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. 
13. Buy something from EtsyDONE.  I bought a baby shower gift for my niece Emily. 
14. Learn how to cook a whole chicken.  DONE.  I cooked one in the crock pot.  It was easy. 
15. Learn to knit.  This is one I am deleting.  Just don't have the interest or energy to learn to knit right now. 
16. Watch 25 movies I haven't seen before.  I think I have watched about 20 but haven't kept a very good list.  I should be able to meet this goal. 
17. Re-watch all West Wing Episodes.  I watched all of Season 1 while I was in Nicaragua and realized how much time this would take, so I am abandoning this goal. 
18. Go to a taping of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.  Still working on this.  Tickets are hard to get! 
19. Watch all Hugh Grant movies. 
This is an unreasonable goal.  I have watched 7 of his most recent 11 movies, but I don't want to buy some of his older ones. 
20. Start or join a book club.  I went to a book discussion at The Hermitage in 2011, but have decided that I don't really want to be in a book club.  I have lists of so many books I want to read that it would be hard for me to have someone else decide what I need to read. 
21. Spend a day watching movies in my PJs. Haven't done this yet, but I did spend a whole day reading in my sweats over Christmas break this year. 
22. Bike the Pumpkinvine Ride. I hope to do this in 2013. 
23. Go to GC's International Student Coffeehouse.  DONE. 
24. Go to a NASCAR race.  Still want to do this, but probably won't get it done before June. 

Lifestyle
25. Go three months without acquiring new (or new to me) clothes. 
Oops.  I kind of forgot about this.  Maybe I can start now. 
26. Give up pop for a month.  DONE. 
27. Fast for 24 hours.  Still need to do this. 
28. Go vegetarian for a week.  Probably have come pretty close to this without paying attention, but will try to consciously do it by June. 
29. Buy stock in a socially responsible company.  DONE. (Chipotle)
30. Shop at Maple City Market at least once a month (on average).  I might not have made it there once a month, but I do shop there more regularly than I used to. 
31. Learn to speak Spanish - at least functional.  DONE.  I did learn to speak Spanish functionally, but not nearly as well as I wanted to.
32. Lose 20 pounds.  Still working on this.  I lost about 10 pounds when I was in Nicaragua, but have gained a few pounds back. 
33. Buy a good pair of black heels. DONE. 
34. Buy a new swimsuit.  DONE. 
35. Pick blueberries.  DONE. 

Relationships
36. Go on a date. 
Still waiting...
37. Go out to lunch with five people I haven't before. Haven't kept very good track of this either.   
38. Send a card to someone 1x/month - just because. 
Nope. Hasn't happened. 
39. Fall in love.  Nope.  Hasn't happened. 
40. Give parents of young children a night out.  Still need to do this too.  


Travel
41. Go on a cruise. 
DONE.  I went on a cruise for my 40th birthday.  It was great! 
42. Visit 3 national parks.  Haven't even visited one yet. Don't think I will meet this goal. 
43. Visit 3 state parks.  Haven't made it to any state parks either.  Better get busy. 
44. Go to the Elkhart County Historical Museum.  I hope to do this this spring. 
45. Visit a foreign country.  I have been to Nicaragua! 
46. Visit Susie in LithuaniaDONE.  October 2012.
47. Visit Kristine in Uganda.  Kristine is no longer in Uganda, so this is no longer possible. 
48. Go to a relief sale other than the Michiana one.  Haven't done this yet. 
49. Go on a road trip.  Haven't done this yet either. 
50. Lead an SST unit. DONE.  I was in Nicaragua with 22 students from March 27 to July 27, 2012. 
51. Read thru the Bible.  I added this in October, 2010, but I haven't got far enough to be able to finish by June.  But I will keep working on it! 

So there you have it!  Some things to keep working on, and some good things accomplished!




2 comments:

Susie said...

Depending on where I find a job, maybe you can help me move there and count that as your "Road trip"! :)

It was fun to read how you've done and I really respected how you were ok saying that some of them just weren't going to happen either due to a lack of interest or not enough time. Seems like you had a healthy grasp on the spirit of the project and didn't become legalistic about making each one happen. Good job, friend! :)

Susie said...

You went to the Ladies Day at Bluffton in April...that could count as your women's retreat... and you can count #3 as done!