As we were out mowing the lawn I noticed a lot of smoke to the east. After seeing it continue for at least 1/2 hour, we heard on the police scanner that there was a chicken house fire and decided to get in the car and go investigate. About 4 miles from our house we discovered a 50x500 foot chicken house on fire. Here are some pictures I took of the scene.


This was in the middle of Amish country and the chicken house was on an Amish farm, so they were out in droves to see what was going on. I was amazed how many of them were standing close to the building while it was still smoking and burning.
When we first arrived these Amish boys were watching from a distance because the police had closed the road. After about ten minutes, the police opened the road again and these guys rode their bikes up closer, then jumped off and ran up to join the onlookers closer to the building!
More onlookers. I saw in the paper the next morning that this fire destroyed 17,000 chickens!On Sunday afternoon after church I had to go to South Bend for a class project group meeting (hopefully my last one!), then Denise and I took our bikes into town and biked with our friend Susie around Goshen College and the surrounding area for about an hour. A beautiful evening!
1 comment:
Hi, Deanna !
Welcome aboard Blogger ! Thanks for letting me know.
Miriam
Post a Comment