Monday, August 1, 2011

Pittsburgh 2011

From July 4-9 I attended the Mennonite Church USA National Convention in Pittsburgh. The convention is held every two years in a different location and includes about 4,000 youth and sponsors, and 2,000 adults. Some adults attend as delegates and discuss and decide on the business of the church. I went as a non-delegate so I was free to attend what seminars and other activities that I wanted. It was a good week of connecting with lots of people I haven't seen for a while, but got to know during college or through my work at Camp or Goshen. I roomed with Denise who was there as a youth sponsor, and ate meals with her most of the time. The rest of the day we were pretty much doing different activities, since the youth and adults had different schedules. I attended seminars and worship, walked around the exhibit hall, talked to a lot of people, and overall had a very good time. It would have been nice to go with someone else to hang out - I felt a little "alone in a crowd" by the end of the week, but it was still a good experience.

A sign on the outside of the convention center.

Restaurants close to the convention center tried to attract convention goers. This bar could have done a little bit better market research.

An adult worship service. Speaking is the president of Mennonite World Conference.

The Ten Thousand Villages booth in the exhibit hall, where I volunteered one afternoon.

No comments: