Saturday, October 22, 2011

Another retreat at The Hermitage

At the end of September/beginning of October I had my semi-annual retreat at The Hermitage.  The Hermitage is a small retreat center about an hour from Goshen that is loosely affiliated with the Mennonite Church.  I started going there about 2 years ago and have found it to be a very meaningful place and experience for me.  I try to not go with a lot of agenda but instead try to be open to where God leads me.  Sometimes that is walks in the woods, prayer, reading, Bible reading, checking out the library, talking to others, worship, eating, or sleeping.  I usually go for 2 overnights.  Time seems to slow down when I go there.  It's always somewhat difficult to transition back to the daily realities of life after being on retreat. 

Two friends of mine have recently been diagnosed with cancer, so I lit a candle for each of them. 

One of my favorite places at The Hermitage - a bench overlooking an open field at the edge of the woods. 

I spent an afternoon volunteering while I was there.  My task was making pesto from the last harvest of basil for the season.  I made about 16 batches of the Simply in Season recipe! 

A sign on a lean-to in the woods. 

A nice sunny but cool day! 


No comments: