The last month has been busy with continuing preparations for SST leadership. One major task was finalizing some of the academic aspects, including what the students will read during their SST experience. I felt the need to read (or at least skim) what I expect them to read. I started with the list of what was required last year, read each article/book chapter/journal article/online news story and then decided if I wanted to include it this year or not. I started at the top of the list and Keri started at the bottom. We finally finalized everything this week. That feels like a major hurdle to have done, and one of the main tangible things I felt I needed to have done before I leave.
Speaking of leaving, the official day for flying to Nicaragua is March 27. Wow, only 24 more days! The month of February flew by, so I am sure these few weeks are going to as well. I am already starting to gather a few things to pack, and I have 100s of other details to take care of as well. I'm trying to make lists and update them regularly to keep track of everything.
Keri (co-leader) and I met finally met with our group of 23 students on February 22. I think they will be a good group of students. There are a few I am worried about for various reasons, but I am praying that everything goes smoothly. There are 18 girls and only 5 guys.
I have been busy with Ten Thousand Villages responsibilities this week. On Thursday the CEO of Villages came to Goshen to visit the store, and more specifically to talk to the staff and some board members about a new discounting strategy that our store staff are not excited about. I was very impressed that the CEO traveled to Goshen personally to hear what we had to say. There clearly are a variety of opinions about pricing and brand identity, but I found the conversation very valuable.
Last night (Friday) I helped out for an hour at the Villages store during the monthly First Friday, when there are special activities downtown and the store is open until 9pm. Then this morning the board had a 3 1/2 strategic planning session, then I volunteered this afternoon for my regular monthly 4 hour shift in the store. That is the last time I will volunteer until I am back from Nicaragua in August.
I have not been working on Spanish as much as I would like to, but I have realized that will nearly always be the case. It just takes a lot of time, and I have a lot of other things going on! I am hoping I know enough to communicate on a basic level when I get to Nicaragua, and continue to learn when I am there.
That is what's on my mind tonight so that's what you get! Happy March!
1 comment:
So glad to read your post. Thanks for updating us!
Also, my mom is reading those Cindy Smallwood (is that her name?) Amish books too and loves them. When I talked to her today she said she was up until 4 AM reading...now you know where I get my crazy night owl tendancies (she types at 3 AM Lithuania time!)
Love ya!
Post a Comment