The annual Empty Bowl fundraiser was held Saturday, February 25. The Goshen Clay Artists Guild and area high school art students made and donated bowls, local restaurants donated soup, and I (and many other people) paid $15 to pick out a bowl to keep, put soup in it, and eat a good meal. This is all a fundraiser for Goshen Interfaith Hospitality Network, a local non-profit that works with families temporarily without housing. I found and chose a bowl made by a guy I go to church with and who also works with Denise.
I went to The Hermitage last weekend for a personal retreat, in part because I go there about every 6 months, and in part because I really wanted to go before I leave for Nicaragua. I arrived on Thursday evening and left Saturday evening. It was very helpful to get away from the daily stresses of work and SST prep and spend time in the quiet, where it is so much easier to listen to and hear God. I feel much more prepared for Nicaragua and whatever lies ahead. Above is the picture of two of the main buildings - the 'barn' (left) where most of the sleeping rooms are located, and the Hanby Center (right), where the worship space, meeting room, library and offices are located. Below is a picture of the worship space set up for a Taize service.
Here is an updated picture of my niece Emily. She came over to my house (with her mom and dad) for snacks and games on Sunday evening. She is so cute, but I might be a little biased! She will be 10 months old on March 28th.
Emily in her PJs.
Finally, a good picture of me with Emily!
With her daddy.
Preparations for SST are continuing in earnest. I only have one more week of work left to go. I have been spending quite a bit of time going over things with people who will be covering for me, but I still feel like there is a lot more, or pieces that I am forgetting. Oh well, I will have internet access and they can always email me with questions. At home, I have taken over the office and am spreading things out on the floor as I slowly decide what I want to take. Tomorrow will include a shopping trip to South Bend to pick up a few items I know I will need (bug spray with deet, an external hard drive), and then more time spent packing.
I plan to keep updating this blog regularly while I am in Nicaragua. I have an official SST blog I have to keep up as well, but this one will be more about my personal experiences. Hopefully I don't have my expectations set too high and will be able to keep them both up. The SST blog will have to take priority over this one since it is the main way that we communicate with parents and the public.







No comments:
Post a Comment