Monday, September 10, 2007

Activities of the weekend

It was a pretty relaxing weekend for me. On Friday evening there were two things I wanted to go to, so I decided to try to go to both. Mennonite Disabilities Committee was having their annual fundraiser, mostly a meal and auction. Denise and I went over to Middlebury and ate haystacks for supper, then I looked around the bake sale, silent auction, garage sale, and auction items. Didn't see much else I needed other than some trail bologna. :)

Quilts lined up to be auctioned.

The main auction area set up under the big tent. It was good they had a tent because there was off and on rain all evening.

I left after being there for about an hour to go to a performance by Ted Swartz and Trent Wagler at LVD's Concert Hall in the Old Bag Factory in Goshen. Ted was half of the drama team Ted and Lee based in Harrisonburg, VA until Lee died by suicide in May. This was one of Ted's first public performance since Lee died, and the performance was sold out. I went with two couples from my Sunday School class - Phil & Karen Rush and Brian & Brenda Wiebe. Trent plays guitar and sings, and Ted did some of his drama of Bible stories. They also did two dramas together. The Bible stories were very well done as always and the music was good, but it was kind of sad to not have Lee there. Ted read a tribute he wrote for Lee (that was originally read at his funeral) near the end of the program.

On Saturday morning Denise and I got motivated and finished lining our driveway with landscape timbers, a project we had started at least a year ago. Now we need to get more gravel for our driveway since the weeds are becoming more prominent than the stone.

On Saturday evening we went over to Eric and Michelle's house to watch the Notre Dame game, the Cubs game, and Nascar since we don't have cable. I was more curious about ND than anything. They ended up losing again 31-10 and looking quite pathetic in the process. Michigan also lost again this week and they play each other next week, so one of them will have to win. We ordered pizza and had a good time.

After church on Sunday I went out to lunch with Denise and my friend Penny at Applebees. In the evening I went to my friend Susie's house to watch Lonesome Jim, a movie filmed in Goshen. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like dark, depressing movies.

On a more positive note, below is a sunrise picture I took sometime last week. This is looking from the garage down our driveway to the east (since the sun rises in the east!), past the mostly dead walnut trees.

Have a good week!

No comments: