Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer is here

I started this post on Wednesday evening, but then had to go to the basement because of a big storm and tornado warning. I was going to say that summer is here for several reasons - I have begun to enjoy some things from the garden, and we have also had our share of hot and humid weather, which tends to create summer thunderstorms.

There was a storm that moved through last Friday evening that did some damage, especially out in the country between Middlebury and Goshen. Then, on Wednesday another big front of storms moved in, including four confirmed tornadoes. There was some tornado damage about 2 miles south of my house, as well as in town, especially about 1/2 mile north of Goshen College. Lots of limbs down all over the place because of the strong storms, but where the tornados were confirmed there were complete trees down and some house damage.

This is storm damage from last Friday's storm, between Goshen and Middlebury.

More storm damage.
There were several county roads closed while all the tree limbs were cleaned up.

Storm damage on 12th Street in Goshen.


Eric and Michelle hosted a father's day picnic at their house for Mom, Dad, Denise and I. Eric grilled out yummy burgers.

Eric and Michelle showed off some of their souvenirs from their vacation to Wisconsin, including these moose antlers that they got for me. :)

Another evidence of summer being here is fresh food available from our garden or from the farmer's market. Below is a salad I had for supper earlier this week: lettuce from the garden, local eggs, and strawberry vinaigrette made from the last of the strawberries from the garden.


A bird has decided to build a nest and lay her eggs in the fern hanging on the front porch. She flies away anytime we open the front door or when Coki is outside. I really hate to water the plant and drown out the nest, but I don't want the fern to die either.


We finally had the opportunity to use our new grill for the first time. Our old grill took too many nosedives into the flower bed during windstorms and bit the dust. Hopefully this one will be a little bit more sturdy. We had a hard time getting it lit the first time, but now it seems to be working fine.

No comments: