Sunday, January 23, 2011

Review of The Pirate Queen


I just finished reading The Pirate Queen by Patricia Hickman. I wish I could recommend that you read it. I tried to like this book - I really did. But I didn't. Saphora Warren is the wife of a successful plastic surgeon, and it seems that she has everything she could ever need. But she is deeply unhappy and is preparing to leave her husband, until he comes home and tells her he has inoperable brain cancer. He wants to go to their summer home on the Outer Banks to live out the rest of his days.

Thus begins a story of children, grandchildren and many others coming and going, meeting some townspeople, getting involved in the life and issues of a young boy with AIDS, and Bender, the husband and his continued decline, tends to become a side story. I was hoping for more deep conversations between Saphora and Bender as they deal with past issues. Instead it seems like they rarely talk. Saphora goes from wanting to end her marriage to commitment to her marriage and love for her husband with no real explanation.

Here is an excerpt from Chapter 1 if you are interested.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

No comments: