Monday, August 27, 2007

MennoMeet

When I was at my parents house several weeks ago for lunch my dad pointed out an article in The Mennonite (biweekly magazine of Mennonite Church USA) about a new online dating site for Mennonite singles. Wow, I thought, that would be great! I was intrigued enough to check it out. It has been my deep desire for quite a while to meet someone and hopefully have it develop into marriage, but for now that hasn't happened. So, I requested an invitation to join, filled out all the information, and am now a member at www.mennomeet.com.

It has been interesting to peruse the other people who have joined the site and try to decide if I want to contact them. Maybe I had my expectations too high, but I have been somewhat disappointed in the site so far. Here is why.
1. The majority of the people on the site are woman. I would guess 7 out of every 10 members are female.
2. The majority of the people on the site are under 27. Since I am 36, 30 is about the youngest I would want my spouse to be, so my "options" become much slimmer.
3. None of the 30-something men seem very interested in taking initiative to meet someone, or, if they are posting on someone's else's page, it is of a female who is significantly younger than them.

On a positive note, I have reconnected with several friends through the site - a high school classmate now in Pennsylvania, a college classmate now in North Carolina, a co-worker from Camp Friedenswald now in Wyoming, etc. So, it has been good at making connections, but not quite the connections I want!

So, if God lays it on your heart, I could use some prayer warriors who can pray hard that some awesome guy will join the site, he will actually contact me (instead of the other way around) and we will hit it off! Or, if you have a single guy friend you would like to introduce me too, I am open to that too.

Also, if you know someone who would be eligible and interested in the site (a single Mennonite, although they don't ask you to prove it), please refer them to the site. The more the merrier!

No comments: