Sunday, August 19, 2007

Start of another (academic) year

It has been awhile since I have posted. My intentions have been good but I just haven't got it done. It takes quite awhile to upload pictures from home so I try to do that at work, but then I get really busy at work... You get the idea.

This past week was busy with several activities. On Wednesday and Thursday I was at Amigo Centre attending Goshen College (GC) Faculty Retreat. This is the first faculty retreat I have attended since I just became faculty in July with my new job. Before that I was professional staff. It was nice to be in a camp environment again and get to know some of the faculty in a more relaxed place. We did a lot of sitting in meetings but the content was good. I saw Cheryl Mast there, she had just returned from some canoe trips in Minnesota.

On Friday was the opening employee luncheon at GC, which informally marks the beginning of the school year. It was great to see all employees together in one room - over 300 people. My name got called as an employee transitioning to a new position.

Yesterday, Saturday was the annual heap-big HRS reunion. Well, it is actually not that heap or big, but it is great fun nonetheless. This reunion is an annual gathering of family friends who used to all live in Middlebury. H = Hisers. Wayne and Bonna now live in Indianapolis and are near my parent's age. (Bonna said she is a faithful reader of my blog - Hi Bonna!) Their daughter Dienne and her husband Morgan and daughter Kyrielle also were there. I went to Middle school with Dienne and they lived two doors down from us on Eugene Dr. S = Schlabachs. Dale and Viv are family friends who we went to church with when we were growing up. We also often swam in their pool. They are also near my parent's age. Their daughter Tami is a teacher at Westview High School and is a year older than us. R= Risser's. Mom, Dad, me, Denise, Eric and Michelle were all there. We gathered at Bendix Woods County Park west of South Bend and had a great day together.

Wayne, Bonna, Dale and Dad gathering around the grill.

Dienne, Tami, and Morgan

Eating our yummy lunch of brats/hamburgers and much other good food: veggie pizza, macaroni and potato salad, calico beans, pringles, carrots, celery and cauliflower, dirt pudding, peach/blueberry pie, homemade applesauce, etc. That is probably only 1/2 of what we had! I was stuffed.

The younger generation went for a long walk around the park after lunch. I am leading the way, followed by Eric and Michelle, Dienne pushing Kyrielle in the stroller, and Morgan. Denise and Tami were also along.

The woman playing dominoes: Michelle, Viv, Bonna, Mom and me.

It ended up being a cool, rainy afternoon, but the rain held off until after our walk and we didn't totally freeze. I am looking forward to next year!

In about an hour I will head up to Camp Friedenswald to volunteer in the kitchen for the next 24 hours or so. They have a band camp of 210 people coming in and all their summer staff are gone so they are short on help. I am taking tomorrow as a vacation day from work so I am can up there. It is hard work but fun. I will try to get a few pictures if I remember. It is rainy and cool again today - feels more like October than August. They are calling for more rain this week but temps still in the 80s.

No comments: