Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting caught up

OK, I am going to get this blog caught up with what has been going on the last ten days or so. I haven't done very well about keeping up with my exciting (not) life.

KAUFFMAN/KAUFMAN REUNION
On Saturday, November 1 I went to the Kauffman Reunion held in Middlebury at the Pleasant Oaks Mennonite Church fellowship hall. This was a gathering of offspring of my Grandma Yoder's brothers and sisters, none of whom are living any more. We have had this reunion off and on over the years, and it has been more "off" lately because of low attendance. My mom found out that several far-flung cousins were going to be in the area from Germany, Kansas, Arizona, and Louisiana, so she and another cousin decided to plan a reunion. It ended up being the "perfect storm" of people being around and the attendance was great.

People gathered around the tables.


All the cousins

The two sets of twins that were there. Denise and I, and Amy and Audrey. I realized after talking to their mother that she and I were about the same age and that I too could have 16-year old twins (which I don't!)

NOTRE DAME VOLLEYBALL
A while ago, Denise got coupons from a friend for free tickets to any home Notre Dame volleyball game. We checked the schedule and realized there were only a few games that worked for us to go, one being on Sunday afternoon, November 2. We asked several friends to go with us but it ended up not working for anyone, so Denise and I went over by ourselves. It actually was a shorter drive than I remember - only about 35 minutes from downtown Goshen. We had a fun time, especially knowing it was free!

I am not very good at taking action pictures. I press the button when they are in the air, but by the time the picture actually takes they are all back on the floor. There were some tall girls on each team!

They handed out these 11x17 posters that we were supposed to hold up every time the Irish scored a point. Point Irish! Unfortunately, the Irish didn't score quite enough points - they lost to Marquette in five games.

MEDA CONVENTION
This past weekend I was in Columbus, OH for the national MEDA Convention - Mennonite Economic Development Association. It was the first time I went to this conference and I enjoyed the speakers, seminars and meeting lots of people. I have been a member of the local chapter for a year or so and decided to go to national conference since it was fairly close. Next year it will be in San Jose, California.

The weather started out nice - it was in the 60's when we got there but was in the 30's by the time we left. I was going to go for a walk over lunch on Friday but it was raining. Saturday I grabbed lunch at a nearby Subway but it was too cold and windy to do much walking around. And the conference rooms were so cold I was looking forward to going back to my room and turning up the heat to try to get WARM.

My hotel room at The Renaissance.

I rode the mini-bus back with a load of mostly GC students. It was a fun trip but it is also good to be home.

Looking ahead, this should be a quiet week, so I am looking forward to getting some projects done around the house. We will see how motivated I am!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deanna
I was going through my last year Christmas letters and found your letter. I loved looking at your blog!!! It made me very HOMEsick (actually had tears in my eyes) thanks for the picture with all the family at the Kaufman Reunion. I knew the Monroe/Sylvia kids would all be there...they sent me an invitation. BUT as I looked at the picture...I had to think...my dad should be there too. It has been 18 years he has been gone. but the saddness is still there.
ok...more to a better thought, loved the pictures of the PIE at Thanksgiving. You can't get a good peanut butter pie up here. they don't know what it is!! I guess I will have to make it myself.
keep up the great work!
Love you favorite cousin
Jacquie (miller) Sedmak