Sunday, January 18, 2009

MEDA Meeting

Yesterday I attended the January breakfast meeting of Michiana MEDA, an organization I joined last year. This is a local chapter of MEDA - Mennonite Economic Development Associates. Locally, there are about six meetings a year that highlight local businesses or MEDA programs. The program yesterday was at the Shipshewana Flea Market/Auction/Restaurant. It was interesting to hear about this organization that is such a popular tourist attraction in the summer, and that really transforms the town of Shipshewana (population 650). After the presentation by Kevin Lambright (head honcho) we took a tour of the auction buildings. I skipped out on the tour of the Farmstead Inn and Conference Center since I had stayed there last year.

Kevin Lambright in the lifestock auction ring. There are weekly auctions here year-round.

Walking from the livestock auction building to the main auction building. The 1,ooo-stall flea market is behind this building.

The auction building was being used by Chupp Auctions, a local Amish auction company. This auction was mostly antique signs, as you can see the signs posted on the walls. Most of the buyers were NOT Amish.

1 comment:

Susie said...

Kevin is my cousin. Do you think he looks like me? Or maybe my dad?