Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Atlanta

I am completing my last day in Atlanta on vacation. Denise and I will make the 12 hour drive back home tomorrow. I was hoping to come south for some warmer weather, but the cool temps have followed us south to Atlanta. It was a beautiful 70 degrees when we arrived on Saturday evening, but it rained on Sunday, and was unseasonably cool (=40's) yesterday and today. We even saw a brief snow shower today. It should be some consolation that home got 3 inches of snow while I was gone, but I still would liked some sunny, 70 degree weather while I was here. Will this winter never end?

Denise and I tried to have a relaxed, affordable vacation in Atlanta and we succeeded. On Sunday we tried to go to the Atlanta Motor Speedway for a track tour, but it was raining and they had some driving event on the track so we didn't get a tour. We drove around the outside of the stadium to take some pictures and stopped in the deserted gift shop to buy a souvenir.

In the afternoon we went to the Jimmy Carter Presidential Museum, and then relaxed in our hotel for the evening.

On Monday we braved public transportation and took the train to downtown Atlanta to see the sights. We went to the Federal Reserve Bank to a COOL money museum, then to the World of Coca-Cola, Centennial Olympic Park, and walked around to some other places downtown. It was cold and windy. We decided NOT to go the Georgia Aquarium because it cost over $30 to get in, and we can go to an aquarium in Chicago.

Today we went to the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site (by the train again) and then ventured out in Atlanta traffic to find the two Ten Thousand Villages stores in the Atlanta area. Very interesting.

We ordered in pizza for supper, and now Denise is watching the Cubs game on TV (its great having cable) while I am checking blogs (and writing this).

I will post pictures from my excursions later this week.

2 comments:

Susie said...

Thanks for posting! I've been checking regularly to see what you've been up to! :)

Miriam said...

I guess you didn't see Luke or Jason in Atlanta, did you??? Of course not !!!
Miriam