Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Garage sale, fish fry, and graduation

This past weekend was graduation at Goshen College, where I work. There were many activities planned on Saturday and Sunday, but I only participated in several of them. It also was the weekend of the Bethany fish fry. And we decided to have a garage sale. A lot going on at once!

Denise and I and Penny had a garage sale with Mom & Dad at their house on Friday and Saturday. Mom and Dad ran it on Friday and Denise and I ran it on Saturday. I would consider it a success as we got rid of a lot of stuff and even made some money in the process!

Here is what the garage looked like when we were nearly done setting up on Thursday evening.

On Friday I was walking around campus during lunch and noticed that some of the new GC banners were going up on the lightpoles.




I happened upon my friends Susie and Megan on my way back to the Administration building.


On Friday evening Susie and I walked down the bike path (into the strong wind!) to meet Denise at Bethany for the semi-annual fish fry, which helps students fund their senior trip.

Waiting in line at fish fry. They post trivia questions on poster board to keep you entertained while you wait. We actually didn't have to wait long at all, and spent most of our time looking at pictures...

Bethany posts a composite picture of the graduating class each year in the hallway. We had to look for people we knew "on the wall" while we were waiting in line. This is the class of 89. If you look real closely, I am in there somewhere!

You got to choose a piece of homemade pie on your way in. YUM!

Denise and Susie enjoying their fish.

Me enjoying my pecan pie. Wow - a picture of myself I actually like!

On Saturday evening I attended the senior program, a talent show of sorts for seniors to sing songs, read poetry, or otherwise perform in some way. The concert hall was pretty full with families of graduates and others like me and Susie. As I was going into town for the Senior Program on Saturday evening, I had to wait for a train full of tractors!

Nathan G playing his hammered dulcimer at the Senior program.

Sunday afternoon was GC graduation. It is tradition for the faculty (teaching and administrative) and students to march/process across campus from the old Union Gym to the Rec Fitness Center, where the graduation ceremony is held. It was quite a windy day, so it was a challenge to keep my cap on and my master's hood from falling off! Then we entered into the warm gymnasium and I wished there was more air moving!

Faculty waiting in the Union Gym

Processing across campus. Here we are going between the library and the church.

Entering the Rec-Fitness Center.

President Jim Brenneman at the podium

Commencement speaker Stephen Ainlay at the podium.
Students celebrating after the ceremony.

No comments: