Friday, March 12, 2010

A week of stress and busyness

This has been a stressful and busy week. On Monday afternoon (March 8) I got a call from my Mom saying that my brother had fell at work and was being airlifted to South Bend Memorial Hospital. They didn't know much other than to say that he had fallen backward about 4 feet off some outside stairs that had ice on the top step. He was out cold when his boss found him (luckily his boss is also an EMT), and when Eric woke up he was combative, not making sense, and basically not acting normal. They were worried about a head injury and decided to transport him to the nearest trauma center (Memorial) instead of either of the two nearer hospitals (Goshen or Elkhart).

I debated whether I should go over to the hospital or not since I tend to pass out when hearing about or seeing injuries or people after surgery. But Denise and I decided it was better to go to the hospital and sit instead of stay at home and wonder. I had to go find Denise at the Rec-Fit center since she was working out and wasn't near her cell phone.

I called Penny and canceled our supper plans and called several friends and asked them to pray. By the time we were on our way over there we heard that Eric's CT scan had come back OK, and that he had no broken bones or lacerations. After several hours of waiting and monitoring in the hospital, they took his tube out and he woke up, essentially OK. He was released the next day at about 1pm.

He has a concussion and will be off work this week, then go back part time for a few days next week and then hopefully back to full-time. He basically has no restrictions but he needs to continue to rest and take it easy.

I am so thankful that things turned out the way they did. I feel like we dodged a bullet, and that the prayers of many people make a difference! The story could have been so much different, but Eric essentially walked away from what could have been a very serious injury. Praise the Lord! It was weird to visit with him on Wednesday evening and have everything seem normal - he looked fine and sounded fine, which is so much different than what I was fearing on Monday evening.

The rest of the week has been busy as well. No rest for the weary! Tuesday morning I had a morning board meeting, then after work met Denise and Susie for supper and to talk about our trip to England this summer. Wednesday evening I went to visit Eric & Michelle at their house. Last night there was a MEDA event that I attended, then I went into Susie's house where we actually purchased tickets for England this summer!!!!! Tonight I am going out for my monthly pizza supper with Denise and Penny (we have a gift certificate to a local pizza place), then going to the Bethany play - Sound of Music. Saturday morning we are going out for breakfast/brunch to celebrate my mom's birthday, since she was in Florida on her actual birthday. Saturday afternoon I am volunteering at Ten Thousand Villages, then in the evening I am going to a potluck supper for Wilderness Wind (have to find time to make something). Sunday afternoon there is a Ten Thousand Villages volunteer meeting where the assistant manager is going to be talking about her recent Learning Tour trip to the Philippines. Then Sunday evening is small group.

Whew - I think I need to go to work to get a break! :)

No comments: