Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Back in Anchorage

We arrived back in Anchorage early this evening and are charging our phones, taking showers and relaxing until tomorrow morning, when we go to the airport to fly to Bellingham, WA, the next part of our journey. Heather and Jason were here for about two hours and then left to go to the airport. They are leaving tonight to go to Indiana and Iowa, so we will see them on Sunday again, but in Indiana this time.

We had a very good, relaxing time with Jeff Yarman and Beth Cender at their "farm" near Kenny Lake, AK the last few days. Unfortunately, I saw no wildlife, other than two bunnies. We went out hiking on the property yesterday afternoon and saw several big piles of moose poop, but no actual moose. Bummer. At least I got to see the one near Anchorage last week.

While down at Jeff and Beth's we did some exploring around the area. We went to Valdez for a day - very very beautiful - and also spent most of a day exploring the Wrangell St Elias Natl Park headquarters and the town of Copper Center. I was glad we did this on Thursday and Friday because the weekend was cloudy and much cooler and we got some rain on Saturday evening. No good views of the mountains when it is this cloudy.

I am looking forward to seeing more cousins the next few days. In Bellingham we will see John and Brenda Risser and their kids Sam and Annika. We don't see them often and haven't seen them since my brother's wedding last June. On July 5 we are going to connect with Sharon Smith - daughter of Marvin and Jeanette Yoder- and her family in Seattle. Her husband is in the military based in Tacoma, so we are meeting in Seattle for the day.

Guess that is enough for now. I am glad to be back out of the wilderness and to have electricity and running water again, but surviving without for it was fine for a few days.

I think by Saturday I will be ready to be home!

Love to all,
Deanna

1 comment:

Susie said...

Deanna- Sounds like you're having a great time in Alaska! I'm glad I've been gone too...otherwise I would've been too lonely! See you soon!