Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Oxford & Althorp

The last two days we have spent exploring the area with Rebecca. Yesterday we went to Oxford, a town about 1 hour from Overton. There were a lot of people there and we did a lot of walking, but it was very interesting to see this town that I have heard a lot about. Some of the highlights were seeing Christ Church and its beautiful grounds, seeing the many old buildings, eating lunch in the open air market, and doing some shopping. When we got home Rebecca fixed us supper, then we enjoyed a quiet evening at home reading and being on the computer while Earl & Rebecca were at a meeting.

Today we traveled 2 hours north to Althorp in Northhampton. Althorp is the Spencer family home, and also the burial place of Princess Diana. Diana was a Spencer so this was her family home that she spent part of her childhood in. We walked the grounds, ate lunch at the cafe, looked at the Diana exhibits, walked through parts of the house, and walked around the pond where Diana is buried on the island in the center. We were basically on an English estate out in the middle of nowhere so it was very peaceful. Sheep were grazing in the field nearby.

Tomorrow we head into London to drop Susie off at Heathrow airport so she can travel back to the US. Denise and I continue into London to spend a few days exploring. We have many things we would like to do but I don't think we will have time for it all. We will need to do some choosing between The Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, changing of the guards, Big Ben, seeing a show, going to a museum, walking around, etc. etc. The first order of business tomorrow is finding our hotel near Wimbledon then we will probably head back into the center of town to do some exploring.

I don't know what kind of internet access we will find in London but I will try to post again as I am able.

No comments: