Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jury Duty

What is it about jury duty that makes us dread it? I think it is the inconvenience of taking time out of your schedule to go. You usually have better things to do. I got a letter several weeks ago saying I needed to report for Federal jury duty on Monday, June 22 in South Bend. I had to go to jury duty several years ago at the Goshen courthouse and it was actually pretty interesting, even though I didn't get seated on a jury.

But how is Federal jury duty different? I didn't get to find out. I called on Sunday evening and was told I didn't need to report. I was relieved because Monday was the first day back for my boss after vacation and it would be nice if I could be there. I also was planning on taking Friday off (tomorrow) and wondered if I could still do that if I had to be on a jury for several days. I guess my name is still in the pool and I could be selected again until the end of July, but I kind of hope I am spared the opportunity. But, the last time I gave blood (many years ago) I was told to "give to society in other ways." Maybe jury duty is it.

No comments: