Monday, June 11, 2007

Activities of the last few days

I had a fairly eventful, yet relaxing weekend. The weather was beautiful and it was nice to have some time to enjoy it. Thursday after work I went to my friend Susie’s house for supper and an evening of baking. She was making two kinds of desserts for her twin nieces’ graduation open house on Saturday. She invited five women over to help her. We made 300 tuxedo brownie bites – bite-size brownies with a cream cheese & chocolate filling with a strawberry slice on top. We also made 300 bite size cheesecakes. For some pictures, go to Susie's blog and check out her Friday post. It was a lot of work but having six people to work on it made it fun and not too overwhelming. While we were cooking we watched Oceans Eleven and Oceans Twelve to prepare some of us for Friday night…

Friday night I saw Oceans Thirteen, a movie about con artists stealing money from a casino starring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and others. Just having George Clooney in the movie made it good, but the story line was good too. It was a sequel to Oceans 11 and 12 but had some new characters as well. Denise, Susie, me and two women from work – Megan Bonham and Mary Olson - went to the matinee to save a few $$ and then all of us except Mary went out to eat afterward. A good time was had by all!

On Saturday afternoon Denise and I volunteered at Camp Friedenswald. Our friend Penny is the maintenance director. Denise spent all her time mowing, which she greatly enjoyed, while I helped hang a new rope swing, pulled weeds in the amphitheater, and organized and relabeled a key box, which I also enjoyed. Afterward we grilled brats for supper and enjoyed the evening.

Eighth Street didn’t have regular church services on Sunday because it was the joint worship service for the churches that all participated in Bible school together during the week. The joint service was held at College Menno. I almost didn’t go but really felt the need to go to church after missing the past two weeks due to traveling and nursery duty. The theme of bible school and the worship service was Be Bold, God is with you! That was just what I needed to hear and was a good reminder of God’s faithfulness. I tend to be overly cautious and afraid of change, but this service was a good reminder to be open to trying new things.

In the afternoon Denise and I went to Bethany and played tennis. I think she ended up winning 6-4, but I am disremembering and blocking that part out! It was fun and good exercise, but my knees hurt today!

Tonight we mowed the lawn (2+ hours) and then ate a late supper. Now I am pretty worn out and will relax and read for a while before going to bed.

No comments: