Tonight I went to a hymn sing at Sauder Concert Hall on the Goshen College campus. It was part of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite conference sessions that are being held at College Mennonite Church and on campus through tomorrow. It was led by an older song leader and a younger song leader and some accompanying instruments. They both picked a variety of songs, most familiar but not all of them. It was so good to sing again after having not sung for about five months because of my voice problems. But everything seems to be OK now.
When I started grad school almost four years ago I stopped taking piano lessons because I didn't have the time to practice. But I am realizing now how important music is to my Christian walk, and I need to hear it often to remind me of God's blessings, hope, and faithfulness. I am going to try to use music or the hymnal more in my devotional time, and will likely start up piano lessons again in the fall.
The rest of the week was pretty routine - work, cook, sleep, projects around the house - mowing, weeding, cleaning, organizing, etc. This weekend is fairly open as well. Tomorrow I hope to go shopping for a baby shower gift.
One of the songs we sang tonight had simple words that really stood out to me. Over all the elegant phrases and melodies I sang tonight, these words spoke deeply to me tonight.
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord,
for the greenness of the trees,
for the beauty of the flowers,
for the blueness of the sky,
for the greatness of the sea.
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord,
now and forevermore.
Thanks to God, thanks to God,
for the gifts of friends in Christ,
for the church, our house of faith,
and the gift of wondrous love,
for the gift of endless grace.
Thanks to God, thanks to God,
now and forevermore.
and for the beautiful sunset tonight! (I added that one!)
Blessings on your day,
Deanna
No comments:
Post a Comment